[tex-hyphen] frisian hyphenation patterns

Esger Renkema tex at elrenkema.nl
Wed May 18 23:15:11 CEST 2022

Dear Arthur,

>  Thank you very much, that’s fantastic!  Frisian was actually one of
>the first languages discussed on this list when it was created almost
>two decades ago, although it was only theoretical and no patterns were
>created (see https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-hyphen/2004-August/000004.html).

That is wonderful, I would never have thought.

>  I see that you’re releasing the patterns in the public domain;
>unfortunately that makes things awkward for distribution purposes, as
>the patterns from hyph-utf8 are used by several other projects, some of
>which frown upon public domain statements: the main issue, as I
>understand it, being that “I, the author of this work, place it into the
>public domain” may not be legally valid in all jurisdictions.  If you do
>not want to be harassed in the future by various project managers urging
>you to place the patterns under some licence, I strongly suggest you
>choose one yourself; if you do not have any preference, we usually
>recommend the MIT licence in the wording of the Open Source Initiative:
>https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

If you want to include the patterns under the MIT licence, please do! It
would surprise me, though, if any copyright would apply in this case,
since the patterns are just the unedited output patgen, which operates
without any human input.

Do you need me to do anything for this, or add a statement somewhere?

>  We’ll add your patterns to hyph-utf8, hopefully soon but we’re all
>very busy, so can’t commit to a timeline.  We’ll let you know.  And
>well done :-)

Thanks.

Warm regards,
Esger