[tex-hyphen] frisian hyphenation patterns

Arthur Rosendahl arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue May 17 15:56:44 CEST 2022

	Dear Esger,

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 11:02:38AM +0200, Esger Renkema wrote:
> I have prepared a set of hyphenation patterns for the (west-of-the-lauwer)
> frisian language [1], language code ‘fy’, current spelling regulations [2].

  Thank you very much, that’s fantastic!  Frisian was actually one of
the first languages discussed on this list when it was created almost
two decades ago, although it was only theoretical and no patterns were
created (see https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-hyphen/2004-August/000004.html).

  I see that you’re releasing the patterns in the public domain;
unfortunately that makes things awkward for distribution purposes, as
the patterns from hyph-utf8 are used by several other projects, some of
which frown upon public domain statements: the main issue, as I
understand it, being that “I, the author of this work, place it into the
public domain” may not be legally valid in all jurisdictions.  If you do
not want to be harassed in the future by various project managers urging
you to place the patterns under some licence, I strongly suggest you
choose one yourself; if you do not have any preference, we usually
recommend the MIT licence in the wording of the Open Source Initiative:
https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

  We’ll add your patterns to hyph-utf8, hopefully soon but we’re all
very busy, so can’t commit to a timeline.  We’ll let you know.  And
well done :-)

	Best,

		Arthur