[tex-hyphen] Dutch Tex hyphenation patterns license

Piet Tutelaers Piet at tuite.nl
Thu Oct 14 17:10:50 CEST 2021

Hello Mojca,

I agree to whatever you think is the best for the survival of the Dutch
hyphenation patterns. If that is the MIT license go ahead.

I have tex-hyphen at tug.org added to the recipients.

Good luck and the very best to all of you,

Piet

Op 14-10-2021 om 16:08 schreef Mojca Miklavec:
> Dear Hans, Piet & others,
>
> First of all: Hans, thank you very much for forwarding us the email
> conversation.
>
> There have been several individual efforts to re-license the patterns
> on a language-by-language basis (by Mozilla, Google, some Linux
> distributions, ...).
> The LPPL licence (being also used by the Dutch patterns) causes some
> troubles to certain projects and their lawyers. Arthur had a couple of
> talks about that at BachoTeX.
>
> Based on the discussions we had many years ago, MIT licence in fact
> seems the one that's most suitable to the widest variety of projects
> potentially interested in using the patterns.
>
> Me and Arthur are maintaining the repository with the latest versions
> of "all" patterns, but we need an explicit permission from the author
> (Piet) if we want to change the licence of the patterns.
>
> So the short question is: do you Piet agree to re-licencing the
> patterns to the MIT licence?
>      https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
>
> We can take care of the changes themselves if needed, but we would
> need your permission to do so.
> (An email sent to tex-hyphen at tug.org would serve as a publicly
> archived confirmation in case someone asks about it in the future.)
>
> Thank you,
>      Mojca
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 at 15:49, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi Piet,
>>
>> I forwarded the mail to the official hyphenation maintainers (Piet:
>> years (tex live) pattern management was made into a project where
>> patterns are maintained by an able team in utf format for various
>> formats and thereby Arthur and Mojca handle all now).
>>
>> Personally I find licenses a boring, uninteresting and waste-of-time
>> subject (if only because I think that the large (commercial)
>> organizations do whatever they like anyway and/or always find ways
>> around it) so I happily leave it to the team to decide what license(s)
>> to apply. As long as it doesn't backfire.
>>
>> Hans
>>
>>> Hello Annemarie,
>>>
>>> It will be no problem to use the Dutch TeX hyphenation patterns I
>>> expect. But I am retired since 2008 and am not active in the TeX world
>>> anymore. I will forward your request to NTG (Nederlandstalig TeX