[tex-eplain] Asian text flow

terry.s at Safe-mail.net terry.s at Safe-mail.net
Fri Oct 13 11:39:49 CEST 2023

Sorry Laurence,

I didn't mean to imply Japanese/Asian languages only typeset vertically, I meant that *IN vertical typesetting* (they also do horizontal for technical reports, and HTML obviously can't do vertical) ... then I thought it actually "flowed" vertically as opposed to being rotated, characters rotated back, and then flowed RTL or LTR to create the illusion of stacked vertical text. (That may be what they do.)

I may misremember that it actually "flows" literally vertically in pTeX or upTeX (specifically), or misunderstood it ... for me that becomes a technical curiosity above my skills at this time. But some Asian fonts *do* have a 2nd set of glyphs intended for vertical text, perhaps with slightly different dimensions or whatever. (Apparently only some.)

In such documents even the ToC is printed vertically, from right to left. (It's also supposed to be back page to front, but pTeX/upTeX don't do this ... I'm sure book manufacturers just print in reverse order.)

Thank you,
Terry S.