[tex-eplain] accents problem in pdf generated by eplain

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jan 25 03:18:57 CET 2022

    So how can I have it work in italics, bold etc?

As long as you use the texnansi-* encoding, the character set should be
the same.  LM provides all the fonts of CM (and more; list below for
your convenience), so it's basically a matter of using them for whatever
fonts you need in your document.  There is no standard way to do this in
plain TeX.

Following the conventions of plain.tex itself, it would amount to
commands like
\font\tenrm = texnansi-lmr10
\font\tenit = texnansi-lmti10
\font\tenbf = texnansi-lmbx10

Then plain's \rm, as in {\rm this is now lmr}, will switch to the
texnansi-lmr10 font, etc.

Math requires more work.

There have been several attempts at making a full font switching scheme
for plain TeX, but I've never used any of them. --hope this helps, karl.

Here's the list of LM texnansi-*.tfm files. The LM filenames follow the
CM conventions, plus prepending the encoding. BTW, the TeX Gyre package,
also from GUST, provides the standard 35 PostScript fonts in texnansi-*,
if you want those. There are more.

Documentation, etc., for lm: https://ctan.org/pkg/lm
For TeX Gyre: https://ctan.org/pkg/tex-gyre

texnansi-lmb10