[tex-eplain] accents problem in pdf generated by eplain

John Was johnoxuk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 09:37:57 CET 2022

Hello

Karl's solution is clearly the best, but in case it's ever needed, I have
sometimes (indeed quite often) found it useful to get TeX  to decide
between roman and italic thus:

(1) I always nest italic: {\it this is italic text\/}
(2) I have an 'if' command:  \newif \ifitalic
(3) I define \it thus:  \def\it{\italictrue \juniit} [or whatever font I
want to use for italic]
(4) For occasionally used characters that require dipping into that font
(in this case Junicode), I give:

         \def\wyn{\leavevmode \ifitalic {\juniit \char"01BF}\else {\junirom
\char"01BF}\fi}

If you  need bolditalic and bold versions, it's just a matter of giving
\wyn a more elaborate definition with extra \if and \fi commands (and
defining another couple of \newif commands, e.g. \ifboldit and \ifbold),
and ensuring that these are included in the definitions of \boldit \and
\bold, as above for italic.

In use, I like to bracket off these characters:  {\wyn}.  If you don't like
doing that, you would need an extra set of { } round the definition of \wyn
so that your occasionally used font doesn't get invoked from that point
onwards.

That's rather clumsy to describe but it works smoothly once set up.  It
might be of occasional use.

Best wishes

John *🇪🇺*