[pdftex] [CWEB] Validation of PDF output fails

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Thu Jun 16 11:15:46 CEST 2022

Hello Ross,

> The message from the 3-Heights validator makes no sense at all,
> so I’d think you have hit a bug in the validator.
Yet I suspect that something _is_ not quite right in common.pdf created
by PDFTeX. Maybe it simply shouldn't claim to be PDF 1.5 output.

A second online validator (https://avepdf.com/pdfa-validation) reports

    Name of the processed file: common.pdf
    Validation status: This document has some validation errors
    Result: Conformance level applied: PDF/A-1a

with the attached XML error report.

A third online validator (https://freepdfonline.com/verifypdfa/)
produces a 90-page report, confirming the "missing F key".

A fourth validator (https://tools.pdfforge.org/de/pdfa-validieren) reports

    Dateiname(n): common.pdf

    Ergebnis: Das überprüfte PDF/A-Profil war "PDF/A-1B"

    ISO 19005-1:2005 6.7.2
    The document catalog dictionary of a conforming file
    shall contain the Metadata key.

    ISO 19005-1:2005 6.7.3
    If a document information dictionary does appear at a document,
    then all of its entries that have analogous properties in
    predefined XMP schemas, shall also be embedded in the file
    in XMP form with equivalent values.

    ISO 19005-1:2005 6.5.3
    An annotation dictionary shall contain the F key. The F key’s
    Print flag bit shall be set to 1 and its Hidden, Invisible and
    NoView flag bits shall be set to 0

No matter where I look, PDF output created by PDFTeX with the
cwebmac.tex macros is critized.

On the other hand, common.pdf created by either 'plain TeX plus
dviopdmx' or by XeTeX is valid:

    File	common-plain-dvipdfm.pdf
    Compliance	pdf1.5
    Result	Document validated successfully.
    Details
    Validating file "common-plain-dvipdfm.pdf"
    for conformance level pdf1.5
    The document does conform to the PDF 1.5 standard.
    Done.

    File	common-xetex.pdf
    Compliance	pdf1.5
    Result	Document validated successfully.
    Details
    Validating file "common-xetex.pdf"
    for conformance level pdf1.5
    The document does conform to the PDF 1.5 standard.
    Done.

To conclude: I think that this new issue for CWEB
(https://github.com/ascherer/cweb/issues/39) has more to do with my
application of 'iftex.sty' in CWEB 5.0 than with the non-conformance of
current and older CWEB versions.

Thanks for your analysis.

Andreas