[pdftex] [CWEB] Validation of PDF output fails

Ross Moore ozross at icloud.com
Thu Jun 16 07:12:45 CEST 2022

Hello Andreas.

Adobe’s Acrobat Pro reports no problem with your PDF.

The message from the 3-Heights validator makes no sense at all,
so I’d think you have hit a bug in the validator.
Here’s why.

The only place where  1274 0 R  is the value for a key is as follows:

> 1271 0 obj
> <<
> /Parent 1268 0 R
> /Title 1275 0 R
> /Next 1276 0 R
> /Prev 1267 0 R
> /A 1274 0 R
> >>
> endobj

The key is  /A  not  /Last , and the object is:

> 1274 0 obj
> <<
> /D 125 0 R
> /S /GoTo
> >>
> endobj

which is the link in a Bookmark to “Names of the sections”.
(Check whether that is really taking you to the correct place.)

As for  1098 0 R , this is a reference to an Annotation dictionary, which occurs in a long list of similar things.

> 1098 0 obj
> <<
> /Border [0 0 0]
> /Subtype /Link
> /Type /Annot
> /Rect [161.285 650.213 171.247 662.168]
> /A
> <<
> /D 151 0 R
> /S /GoTo
> >>

> endobj

The  /Last  key is normally associated with a NameList data structure.
You have one of these, with the list of /Outlines (i.e., the Bookmarks).

> 1268 0 obj
> <<
> /Type /Outlines
> /Last 1295 0 R
> /First 1267 0 R
> /Count 8
> >>
> endobj

but the object numbers are not obviously directly related to what 3-Heights reports.

So unless you can find something about the PDF that is not working as intended,
I would say that it is the validator which is faulty, with regard to the way it checks
the Outlines structure.

Hope this helps.

	Ross

>> From: Andreas Scherer <andreas_tex at freenet.de>
>> Date: 16 June 2022 at 9:05:17 am AEST
>> To: pdftex at tug.org
>> Subject: [pdftex] [CWEB] Validation of PDF output fails
>>
>>  Dear list,
>>
>> I am trying to understand the error message
>>
>> Validating file "common.pdf" for conformance level pdf1.5
>> The value of the key Last is 1274 0 R but must be 1098 0 R.
>> The document does not conform to the requested standard.
>>
>> issued by the 3-Heights PDF Validator Online Tool
>> (https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/validate.aspx <https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/validate.aspx>) for file common.pdf.
>>
>> common.pdf is created from the CWEB sources
>> (https://github.com/ascherer/cweb) with
>>
>> touch *.c
>> make all
>> ./cweave common
>> pdftex common
>>
>> The above values for 'Last' are for CWEB version 3.64c; different values
>> occur for CWEB 4.8. Similar errors occur for ctangle.pdf and cweave.pdf,
>> but not for cwebman.pdf.
>>
>> My best guess is that the PDF macros in cwebmac.tex for the pdftex
>> engine are faulty.
>>
>> Please help,
>> Andreas
> <common.pdf>

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au

I respectfully acknowledge the traditional custodians of the Macquarie University Land, the Wallumedegal clan of the Darug nation, whose cultures and customs have nurtured and continue to nurture this land since the Dreamtime. I pay my respects to Elders past, present, and future.

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>