TeX Live fonts in macOS apps

Matthias Schmidt tex at mschmidt.name
Thu Jul 27 11:04:50 CEST 2023

Hi,

I have now managed to link TeX Live fonts rather than copying them to "~/Library/Fonts" (see last paragraph of https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7613438?answerId=30429201022#30429201022), but with some limitations.

1. In FontBook.app create a new Library, e.g. "TeX Live 2023"
2. Right-click or drag-and-drop fonts/directories on the new library to add fonts to it

Results:
- TeX Live fonts are now recognized correctly with locations like "/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf"
- The fonts show up under "My Fonts" but no fonts are actually copied/symlinked to "~/Library/Fonts"
- Updated font files should be used as the library just references them

Limitations:
- This uses the absolute path to the TeX Live install, so installing a new TeX Live version or changing the default version would require to create a new Library in FontBook.app
- New fonts in the existing TeX Live installation will likely not show up since the library creates references to each font file, not to directories (see contents of "~/Library/FontCollections/TeX Live 2023.library")
- I have tried to change a reference in the .library file to point to "/Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf" or to directories "/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/" without success

Matthias Schmidt