TeX Live fonts in macOS apps

Matthias Schmidt tex at mschmidt.name
Fri Jul 21 18:34:37 CEST 2023

> Sigh... I just checked and I see the same thing!!! I've never had that problem
> before. If you actually copy some fonts into your ~/Library/Fonts folder and
> then drag them onto Font Book do they show up correctly? I just tried it with
> my Lucida-OT fonts and it does show up fine. Spounds like a new bug from Apple!

Yes, if I copy a font like opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf into ~/Library/Fonts it works immediately. I don't even have to drag it onto Font Book, in fact it complains of a duplicate if I do that.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/446228 claims that symlinks won't work but doesn't give more information or sources. Since it was working before Ventura it is either a bug or Apple changed the way they read user fonts. I also tried the suggestions in the comments to the answer but Finder aliases didn't work and hard links are not supported by APFS [1].

Matthias Schmidt

--
[1] https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html