[OS X TeX] dvisvgm and ghostscript

koch at uoregon.edu koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Oct 23 20:42:31 CEST 2020

Doris,

I'm happy you got things to work. Why not just accept the current situation and get on with your life? That's what I intend to do!

A note to others. The Ghostscript we install has been configured specially for TeX. These changes were made after research by Bruno Voisin and others. This is important in the Far East and unimportant for most of us. If you have special TeX needs, there may be a reason to use our install package.

A brief final note.

Apple creates /usr/local, and its permissions, as an empty folder when macOS is installed. This is necessary because even root does not have permission to add things to /usr in modern versions of macOS.

MacTeX is designed to just work with these Apple permissions, since most users do not want to manipulate file permissions.

Sometimes file permissions in /usr/local get changed, either deliberately as done by the brew system, or silently as done by a small number of software installers. Generally such changes make no difference, but diagnosing problems they cause is time consuming and I almost always leave that task to others or to the user.

Dick Koch