[OS X TeX] [OFF-TOPIC] python (Doris Behrendt)

David Goldenberg Goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Thu Oct 22 23:21:30 CEST 2020

Just a few more comments on this off-topic topic:

1. I agree that installing Anaconda is a great way to have a full Python installation with lots of trimmings. Think of it as TexLive for Python. One of the best things that Anaconda includes is the Jupyter browser-based notebook. It’s great for learning and interactive work.

2. The is clash between MacOS Mojave and Python versions later than 3.7.0, at least with the version installed with Anaconda. This breaks any of the Python features that use TKinter, including the IDLE development environment and the turtles module, for turtle graphics.  My understanding is that the clash is fixed in Catalina, but I haven’t tested it myself.

For Mojave, the last version Anaconda that seems to play well with Mojave is:
Anaconda3-5.3.1-MacOSX-x86 64.pkg
You can find an archive of all of the Anaconda installers at:
https://repo.anaconda.com/archive/

3. For a great introduction to Python and programming, I highly recommed:
Downey, A. (2017). Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist. O’Reilly, 2nd edition. http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/

This is a short well-written book with very good exercises. It is available as both an O’Reilly paperback (on the expensive side) or as a free (as in beer) pdf!

David Goldenberg
--
School of Biological Sciences
University of Utah