[OS X TeX] dvisvgm and ghostscript

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Fri Oct 23 20:05:26 CEST 2020

> On Oct 23, 2020, at 13:53, Doris Behrendt via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Dick and others,
>
> I’ll do that. But meanwhile I tried alternatives and wanted to let you know what I came up with and what problem occurred on the way:
>
> install ghostscript via brew
>
> (base) Doriss-Mac-mini:logo bd$ brew link --overwrite ghostscript
> Linking /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.53.3...
> Error: Could not symlink share/doc/ghostscript/9.53.3/API.htm
> /usr/local/share/doc/ghostscript/9.53.3 is not writable.
>

> So, following this link https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/192227/how-to-make-files-in-usr-local-writable-for-homebrew
>
> I had to temporarily change the ownership of the folder /urs/local
>
> I changed from root:wheel to me:staff and after I did this, the linking went through:
>
> brew link --overwrite ghostscript
> Linking /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.53.3... 568 symlinks created
>
> after this, I could finally run
>
> dvisvgm --libgs=/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.53.3/lib/libgs.9.53.dylib ct-logo.dvi
>
> and get my svg.
>
> So could there be some ownership issues while installing with the installer from your page?

Doris,

glad you got it to work.

The ownership is most likely not an issue. When you install HomeBrew it prompts you to change ownership of /usr/local to yourself so that you don’t have to use “sudo” all the time. The best time to do it is before you install anything else, otherwise you have to do a recursive “chown -R”, as you have seen from the stackexchange link. By the way, it’s probably better to chown to yourself:wheel, instead of yourself:staff.

Also , brew symlinks into /usr/local, by default, so you would find your library in /usr/local/lib/libgs.9.53.dylib (shorter path).

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu