[lucida] Installation issue solved

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Fri Apr 29 20:13:16 CEST 2022

Hello Bruno,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my Lucida installation issues.

Your solution worked like a charm. I am now able to typeset all the test files with both Lucida OT and T1 fonts.

Here’s your solution, which I will save for future reference.

	cd ~/Downloads
	sudo unzip lucidaot1-tex.zip -d /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

Here’s what I did.

(1) Made a copy of my \texmf-local\ directory, which by the way, contained only the faulty Lucida fonts. I placed the copy in my Documents folder.

(2) Deleted the contents of \texmf-local\

(3) Reinstalled the Lucida fonts using the Terminal commands listed above.

(4) Successfully typeset all the *.tex files contained in the Lucida installation documentation.

(5) Deleted the copy of the old \texmf-local\ directory since I now know contains a faulty Lucida installation.

I did have to make a change in the Terminal commands. After changing directory via "cd ~/Downloads”, the system would not let me unzip the file lucidaot1-tex.zip and issued the following messages:

	error:  cannot open zipfile [ lucidaot1-tex.zip ]
        Operation not permitted
	unzip:  cannot find or open lucidaot1-tex.zip, lucidaot1-tex.zip.zip or lucidaot1-tex.zip.ZIP.

Whereupon I tried the following command:

	RaulMart2 at Rauls-M1-MacBook-Pro Downloads % ls

and the result was

	ls: .: Operation not permitted

So it seems the Downloads folder has restrictions on its use, restrictions that I did not want to spend time figuring out. So I copied the lucidaot1-tex.zip file to my Documents folder then entered “cd ~/Documents”. The final three commands were then issued and worked as expected.

(5) So in my case, the four terminal commands you specified ended up being:

	cd ~/Documents
	sudo unzip lucidaot1-tex.zip -d /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

Again, I greatly appreciate your help.

J. R. Martinez