[lucida] issues with Lucida fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Dec 18 01:40:12 CET 2021

> On 17 Dec 2021, at 22:14, Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach at latex-project.org> wrote:
>
> I'm currently struggling with finishing TLC and one of the open tasks was to use the newer Lucida fonts (previous editions of the book used the original Type1 set)
>
> So this evening tried to figure out why the \overarrow command came out wrong in the book and as a side effect I also found that \boldmath doesn't work at all and a few more things.
>
> Below is a test file ... not sure to what extend "maintained means maintained, but here is the summary in case someone want to make use of it.

Hi Frank,

I've had a quick look. As a comparison I also used Walter Schmidt's lucimatx from PCTeX.

lucidabr
========

- Using TUG's lucidabr and your lucida-bugs.tex unchanged, boldmath seems to work OK except for the \mathrm{a} taken from CM as you remark. And all the text is in CM instead of Lucida. Uncommenting the T1 option of lucidabr changes nothing. Leaving it commented but uncommenting \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} changes everything.

- Once that is done, typewriter looks OK. The overrightarrows don't look nice, indeed.

- As for the documentation not mentioning the OT1 issue, part of the reason I think is that lucidabr.pdf is not a proper doc, it's more the commented source code. The actual doc, explaining the package options and so forth, is lucidabr.txt which had mistakenly disappeared for some years along the way, but has recently been put back into the TUG distro (and on CTAN I think) by Karl.

lucimatx
========

- Things all work on first try with your file (no need to uncomment T1-related lines).

- The overarrows look fine. This seems to come down to the interaction with amsmath (as you had written in your comments I realize now). Without amsmath, I get the same with lucidabr and lucimatx: regular arrow nice, bold arrow with its head slightly before the end of the arrow. Adding amsmath makes both arrows fine with lucimatx, but both arrows wrong with lucidabr (arrow heads much before the arrow ends for both regular and bold).

I must admit I rarely ever use the T1 Lucida fonts any longer these days, I use the OpenType version with fontspec and unicode-math instead.

Bruno