[lucida] Small Caps Bold ** in Lucida type 1 fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Dec 22 12:10:29 CET 2020

> Le 22 déc. 2020 à 09:42, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> a écrit :
>
>> Le 22 déc. 2020 à 00:20, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :
>>
>>    egreg has already given a nice explanation for the problem
>>    (https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/575868/
>
> Getting late in the game: has anybody tried to replicate the output of the original poster? I'm not getting the same, on my setup the small caps Ç is as it should be.

Forget everything I wrote. I had read the StackExchange thread too fast and got it all wrong. Sorry!

Just to clear any ambiguity (mostly for myself):

- The original poster complained that when asking for small caps ç, you get proper small caps ç, but when asking for bold small caps ç, you get bold lowercase ç.

- egreg explained that this is a bug in the bold small caps font lbdsc.pfb, which puts the bold lowercase glyph ç where there should be a bold small caps glyph. Indeed, FontForge confirms this (screenshot below).

- Then egreg proposed modifying the virtual font hlhbc8t, to construct a composite bold small caps ç by putting the bold cedilla accent below the bold small caps c. Very nice indeed! (This can't work for hlhbc8y though, which is a simple rencoding of hlhbc8r, no virtual font involved.)

By the way, the same bug is present in the OpenType version of the font, as can be seen by trying, with LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX,

	\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage{fontspec}
	\setmainfont{LucidaBrightOT}

	\begin{document}
	{\scshape Definição \textbf{Definição}}
	\end{document}

This is also confirmed by FontForge (second screenshot below): the small caps ç is the same "x-height" (hoping this is the proper term) as the other small caps glyphs, but the bold small caps ç is actually the bold lowercase glyph hence slightly smaller.

Bruno