[texhax] Help with BiBTeX formatting

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 31 18:25:39 CET 2004

> In our book using book.cls in MikTex, we are creating
> a selected bibliograhy at the end using:
>
>  \bibliographystyle{plain}
>  \markboth{Digital Processing of SAR Data}{Selected Bibliography}
>  \renewcommand{\bibname}{Selected Bibliography}
>  \nocite{*}
>  \bibliography{radar}
>
> Can you please help me with 3 questions:
> 1. How to remove the numerical labels from the list
> 2. How to make the running headers initial capitals
>     rather than all capitals
> 3. How to elevate the title "Selected Bibliography"
>     to Chapter* status
>
> I have tried editing the plain.bst file, but it does not
> seem to cover these items.  I can do item manually by editing the
> .bbl file, but I would like to do it auttomatically.

1. This IS a BibTeX question and use of the natbib package is probably the
best advice

2. This NOT a BibTeX question; it is to do with book.cls and you may find
the fancyhdr package the best way to deal with this.

3. This is again to do with book.cls; however, a quick look inside shows
that it is already defined as \chapter*, although you will need to deal with
its defining the head in capitals---see 2. above.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe
Professor of Nuclear & Subnuclear Physics
Dipartimento di Fisica e Matematica
Università degli Studi dell'Insubria
via Valleggio 11
22100 Como (CO)