[yandytex] Using YandY

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 19 19:06:06 CEST 2006

    Could you explain better what exactly has "Blenda" donated to TUG ?

Blenda Horn was one of the founders of Y&Y.
She ended up with all the company's assets after its dissolution.

She donated the actual development and distribution computers.  As such,
they contain a lot of business contracts, letters, and so on, not
related to anything technical.  They also contain many copies of the
Lucida and MathTime fonts.  They also contain a lot of Microsoft
development libraries, etc.  Everything like that has to be excised
before making it public.

The source code for the actual Y&Y TeX system and the Y&Y-developed
fonts (such as European Modern) are the main things which will be made
publicly available.  (Volunteers will have to come forward to compile
new binaries when the time comes; I can't do that.)  There are a number
of other utilities, random documentation, etc., as well.

I cannot be more precise right now -- I don't know myself exactly what
is there.  There are many years of files accreted on the systems (many
of them being slightly different versions of each other), and it's a
time-consuming process to review them.

best,
Karl