[yandytex] Lucida fonts with lucimatx in YandY: TeX's OK, preview bombs

Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Thu Mar 23 00:37:41 CET 2006

I believe it is using the file texfonts.map.  But the entries there have
a different format.  For example:

lstr    hlcrst8y    % LucidaSans-Typewriter
lbme    hlcrbv      % LucidaNewMath-Extension

So what would be the form of the replacement?  I'm confused because the
names of the pfb's for these two are still lstr.pfb and lbme.pfb,
respectively, whereas the new tfm's are named hlsrt8y.tfm and hlcrv.tfm.
  Does that mean that the new entries in texfonts.map should be:

hlsrt8y   hlsrt8y   % LucidaSans-Typewriter
hlcrv     hlcrv     % LucidaNewMath-Extension

I don't understand how the aliases work, and in particular I don't
understand how the previewer, for example, knows what pfb to use if
there's no reference to its name in texfonts.map.  Does the tfm have a
reference embedded in it to the corresponding pbf??

Here's what texfonts.map says near its start:

:
% Y&YTeX, DVIPSONE and DVIWindo all can use this common aliasing file.

:% The syntax is:

% <actual TFM file name>    <name used to refer to font in TeX source>

% The name of the desired TFM file is the *first* name ---
% the TeX source file uses the *second* name (i.e. this is the alias).
% Note that the name that appears in the DVI file is also the *second*
name -
% this means your previewer / printer driver *also* need to remap names
: