[yandytex] Lucida support macros

Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Sun Feb 5 07:45:18 CET 2006

So can anybody tell how exactly to take the files from the PCTeX package
lucimatx.zip.tpm and install them into the (unfortunately,
non-TDS-compliant) directory tree for YandY?

Why do this?  Because I'd like to be able to use the single package
lucimatx to control options for Lucida fonts, no matter what TeX system
I'm using on my Windows PC:  YandY TeX, MiKTeX, or PCTeX (each of which
has certain advantages and disadvantages).  The only change from system
to system would be to use the LY1 font encoding with YandY TeX -- just
one single line of code in my source would have to be changed.

Already I have no problem with the Lucida fonts in PCTeX (of course,
since lucimatx.zip.tpm was set up for that); and no problem with MiKTeX,
where the PCTeX-supplied instructions for handling lucimatx.zip.tpm
worked flawlessly.

I already have all the Lucida family of fonts installed from the
original Y&Y distribution.  This includes some patched pfb and pfm
files (lstb, lstbo, lsto, and lstr) needed to make the Lucida fonts
compatible with Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1, which chokes on the names
of several of the unmodified Lucida fonts that are longer than the
normal Windows name length for fonts.

Evidently it's not enough just to put lucimatx.sty file where YandY TeX
can find it, for when I use it -- preceded by
    \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
of course -- processing stops with error:

! Font OML/hlcm/m/it/10=hlcrima at 9.49997pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file not found

(TEXNANSI=D:\WP\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\TFM;D:\WP\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;D
:\WP\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\)

1. Do I first have to extract most stuff from lucimatx.zip.tpm into the
YandY tree?  If so...

    (a) I presume I should skip all the pfm, pfb, and afm files (since I
have the original Y&Y files for these); right?

        Ditto the vf files (since Y&Y doesn't use virtual fonts)?

    (b) What about the tfm's?  (If I must install these tfm's, does the
patched lstb, lstbo, lsto, and lstr pfb's and pfm's affect this?)

2. Do I need to run lucimatx.ins, or is that superfluous since
lucimatx.sty is already included in lucimatx.zip.tpm?

Here's what I'm guessing:

  (i)The hl*.tfm's go into:

   yandy\FONTS\TFM\TeXnANSI\tfm-bh
      [or should it be tfm-hl, or something else?]

Or is it only some of them that go there, with the non-text ones going
into a new subdirectory

   yandy\FONTS\TFM\NonText\tfm-bh
   [or yandy\FONTS\TFM\NonText\tfm-hl =] ?

If so, which ones go into the TeXnANSI subdirectory (just the text
fonts??), and which go into the NonText subdirectory (just the symbol
fonts??).  If that division is the way to do it, is there some really
easy way to know which goes where without tediously reading through a
long list to figure out which files are associated with text fonts and
which with symbol fonts?

(ii) The fd's go into

   D:\WP\yandy\TEX\LATEX\REQUIRED\PSNFSS\ly1  ??

3. What about lucida.map? Does that simply get dropped into

   D:\WP\yandy\FONTS\TFM\NonText

or should I insert it into texfonts.map in that same directory?