[yandytex] "overcite" package and punctuation

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 23 22:47:36 CEST 2006

> I noticed a strange inconsistency between Y&Y and other latex
> implementations (MiKTeX, teTeX) when using the "overcite" package.
>
> Suppose I cite something at the end of a
> sentence like this \cite{Smith:1990a}.
>
> The default behavior for overcite is that the superscript citation is
> moved after the "." and any spaces between the last word and "." are
> removed. However, with Y&Y text this doesn't work. I end up with a
> space between the last word and the ".". Did anyone else notice this,
> too? Is there a way to fix this?
>
> I used the same versions of "cite" and "overcite" which, to my
> knowledge, are the latest versions available at CTAN.

i think this moving of citations (providing support for the usa-ish
style of doing things) is fairly new.  are you absolutely sure you've
got cite.sty 4.01 (nov 2003) on your y&y system? -- in previous
versions, overcite.sty did its job on its own, whereas now it's no
more than a stub calling cite.sty

i would be surprised if any y&y system was delivered with such a late
cite.sty; have you downloaded and installed new versions of cite and
overcite to your system?

(i was involved in y&y from early 2002, and i don't believe any macros
in the distribution were updated in that time, though we tried for
some time to arrange that they should be.)