PDF figures

Ganz, Frank, SV USA Frank.Ganz at SPRINGER-SBM.COM
Wed Feb 23 15:22:55 CET 2005

Hi Robin,

I hear your frustration in your response. I work for a commercial publisher and see this a lot with Word users. One has to constantly upgrade software, because users don't know that they can save in an older version.

And so it is with Adobe products. Adobe responds to the calls of the marketplace. Some say they respond too slowly. Also, they want to stay in business. Adobe profits from the ignorance of some users. Even though someone's document doesn't make use of the newest features, they still provide a file in the latest PDF version (PDF 1.6 with Adobe 7, I believe). Meanwhile, if you want to work with them, you may choose to upgrade your software.

We, as a commercial publisher, give out .joboptions files, so that we can assert control on what we're getting. If my assumption is right, you may eliminate the source of frustration by doing the the same.

:)

Thanks,
Frank