current state of Y&Y web site

Sue Rodd jcm at LMS.AC.UK
Tue Feb 15 12:24:19 CET 2005

Hi -- in response to your question about why we use Y&Y:

I use the package to edit files for two maths journals -- one web-based,
using the MathTime fonts in PDF files, and one where I provide CRC for the
printers of a "paper" journal, using Computer Modern.  The original files
come from authors world-wide, written on whatever machine the author has,
using whatever system and packages the author has.  The only stipulation is
that the file must be able to run under LaTeX.

I'm an editor, not a techie, and so I need something that I can just plug
this stuff into, and produce good-looking copy.  Having been converted to
the advantages of LateX for typesetting maths, I'd hate to use anything
else, but the Windows front-end makes all the difference.  (I don't have
much experience of using other packages, except for battling with EmTex for
a short while -- Y&Y was recommended as being the most "idiot-proof" system
available to generate good postscript, and I'm happy to go with that, though
I think there's a widespread misconception that all LaTeX users are hackers
at heart, and the Y&Y manuals are not immune to it...) In seven years of
uploading PDF generated from Y&Y postscript on to the web, I've not yet had
any complaints from readers who get erroneous files when they try to
download.  They may just not be telling me, but so far, so good.

I have NO interest in what goes on inside my computer; with help from
Christina and Mimi I have on occasion tinkered with things like the ini
file, but only with the DEEPEST reluctance!  As I believe I've said before
in this forum, I use the computer as I do my car -- I don't much care what
happens under the bonnet, as long as the thing goes where I want when I
want. I can't belive that I'm the only one, either!

Hope this helps

All the best

Sue