Y&Y

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Mon Feb 14 11:30:43 CET 2005

Michael Drory writes:

> A NEW COMER TO THIS GROUP (BUT JOINED AFTER TRYING TO GET A DOWNLOAD FROM THE
> PRESENT HOLDERS OF THE WEBSITE!)
>
> FROM THE DISCUSSION ON HOW TO KEEP Y&Y AROUND IN SOME FORM OR OTHER; IS IT
> WORTH (OR APPROPRIATE) ASKING WHY IT ENDED UP IN THE CURRENT STATE (INCLUDING
> ASSETS SUCH AS THE DOMAIN NAME)?
>

> MIKE

Well, the long and short of it is that the company's owner could no
longer do development work, which we've all noticed is needed. Y&Y
originally started with just two owners, back in what? 1990? So that's
about 15 years ago ... and unlike TeX, some software does eventually
fade in terms of its support. Two owners became one, and it just
became too difficult to keep things going. So the company is being
dissolved/disbanded/whatever the legal term is ;-)

This list was actually one of the responses to the reduction in direct
company support which happened a few years ago now. But while the
users can be a really good resource on actual Y&YTeX use, we can't do
anything about development upgrades ...

Part of the company's devolution included giving up the `yandy.com'
domain name, and I guess one can't really control what happens after
it's been purchased. Guess you got a heck of a surprise ;-) trying to
do that download!

You might find some additional info by trolling through the mail
archives for this list. There's a lot of useful stuff been posted over
the past few years, and it's now all available. User support used to
be one-on-one -- and was pretty phenomenal in terms of detail and
specifics for each user's set-up. But all that knowledge would then
end up being lost -- no-one else could benefit because the whole
support thing was by phone or direct e-mail. Now at least when someone
asks a question, we can all learn ;-)

Ch.

P.S. Is there a chance you could turn off your caps-lock key? It's
     very BLAM-BLAM ;-) Even the spam filter my mail goes through
     complained!

         ... LINES_OF_YELLING,LINES_OF_YELLING_2, ...