current state of Y&Y web site

Michel Kerszberg mkersz at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Tue Feb 8 22:03:49 CET 2005

Hi Karl and YandYers,

To me at least, what made YandY unique were 1) the lucida and em fonts;  2)
the fast TeX engine; and 3) the dvi viewer dviwindo, which, in spite of a
highly idiosyncratic user interface (i.e. different from standard windows
apps), was very nice and allowed such things as magnifier zooming and text
search, things that others did inexplicably not offer.

I always used TeX under both Windows (YandY) and Unix. I do not know about
mikTeX under Windows, but with the progress of teTeX under Unix, I have
gradually abandoned running YandY TeX. These days, I think that the only
remaining unique thing about YandY are the fonts. I really see little point
in keeping the Windows YandY TeX engine alive (given the speed of modern
CPUs) or even dviwindo for that matter, the only reason would be a basic
love of diversity, but then enough people competent in programming would
have to be interested -- and in windows freeware programming at that!

As I said in a previous post, teTeX and its "kile" interface have now
advanced to a state where I hardly would have any use of a windows TeX
engine (including mikTeX) or dvi previewer anymore. The YandY fonts, on the
other hand, are irreplaceably beautiful. YandY were the first to seriously
think of anyone who uses more than ASCII, and many europeans are therefore
fond of their em fonts and LY1 encoding. I still think that even the basic
em fonts are nicer than the cm -- maybe I should hire a bodyguard after
writing this.

All in all, with the YandY fonts becoming available in commercial form
sometime or other, I think the rest of the YandY products now belong to
history. So it goes ...

Regards,

Michel