current state of Y&Y web site

paul paul at PRETEX.COM
Thu Feb 10 10:25:20 CET 2005

Karl,

We have used Y&YTeX since 1989, VTeX was my other standby, 0.9 release I
think was our first.   In all that time and 200+ books and journals later  I
have not had one bit of problem sending PostScript or PDF files to the
Printer, be it RRD, Quebecor, Transcontinental, Hamilton, and numerous
others.   I would prefer to see Y&YTeX remain an active version of the TeX
world, however, it does need updating as mentioned in other Emails.   I
would certainly like to become an active member in preserving Y&YTeX, be it
a tester, minor programmer/debugger, or simply an individual that would
maintain the documentation and supporting programs.  Remember that Y&YTeX
has not had an TeX update in several years.  I should think it is more that
7 years since it has had a major update, particularly with respect ot the
style files and supporting programs and TeX/LaTeX file tree structure.

If I have an author using a particular package, be it SciWord, Textures,
MikTeX, and the other packages, being on Unix, Mac, Win, even NeXT, I will
try to generate acceptable PDF, on occasion postscript, output.  My success
rate and quality of output has, fairly frequenty, run into problems and
failed printer tests.  When nothing resaolves this, I will revert to Y&YTeX,
with some minor fudging.  Personally, I do not care which version or which
platform TeX/LaTeX I use, simply that it works and produces high quality
Press output.  All version and platforms have their quirks: finding ways to
resolve their quirks can be quite a challenge.

Keep me in mind if you are successful in setting Y&YTeX as a
shareware/freeware system.

All the best.
Paul Mailhot
PreTeX, Inc.