Lucida bright from two sources?

Karl Berry karl at FREEFRIENDS.ORG
Thu Dec 15 20:18:46 CET 2005

I have always very much appreciated Walter's work on so many fonts (not
just Lucida), and have acknowledged PCTeX's contribution to the Lucida
project throughout.

Naturally, being the current TUG president, I have to hope there will be
some support for TUG (we put in some time and effort too), but most
important I just hope the fonts are found useful, whether they are
acquired through PCTeX or through TUG.  Chuck Bigelow has expended a lot
of time, effort, and money on this, without much hope of significant
renumeration, and I hope all that won't go to waste.

By the way, if there are bugs or suggestions for the lucidabr package
(on CTAN and what is in the TUG distribution), please email
lucida at tug.org.  It *is* maintained (mostly by Morten Hoegholm, thanks
Morten).

Finally, you mentioned the Y&Y TeX system.  I believe that neither the
pctex font package nor the tug font package will work as-is with Y&Y
TeX, if you don't already have the original Lucida from Y&Y.  Virtual
fonts are used in the current macros, and Y&Y TeX doesn't support vf's.
The main reason to update lucida and lucidabr on CTAN is for the sake of
those people who already have the Lucida fonts from Y&Y and managed to
get them working with non-Y&Y TeX.  We didn't want to leave them in the
cold.

Best regards,
Karl