DVI previewer gone haywire

LMS journals jcm at LMS.AC.UK
Mon Nov 8 16:04:39 CET 2004

Helpppp!!!

I've just done a backup of my whole hard drive, prior to installing some new
software.  I first did a disk cleanup and defrag.

HOWEVER, before going ahead with the new install, I tried to use DVI windo,
and each time I do, it goes into some sort of endless loop, with the
hourglass showing, and the only way I can stop it is to switch the whole
computer off at the wall (Ctrl/Alt/Del has no effect, and nor does the
on/off button on the hard drive.)

I assume that something has got screwed up in the defrag, and that I'll need
to re-install -- but I'd like to do as little as poss, so as to keep
settings, etc.  Using DVIWindo, I can Latex an existing file, I can run
Bibtex, but the previewer causes the disaster.  Trying to open a dvi file
from the main DVIWindo menu, or from Explorer, has the same effect.

Helpful thoughts, please???

That'll teach me to try and be conscientious....

Thanks in advance

Sue