Too many TT fonts installed

Don Robinson drrobin at ILSTU.EDU
Tue Jun 29 09:18:17 CEST 2004

I have encountered a problem and hope someone can offer advice.  I have been
using Y & Y TeX with the complete Lucida font set (at home) for a couple of
years.  Recently, on my advice, the college acquired the same system with
Lucida fonts for use by the Faculty Resources Center personnel.  Eventually
this will be available on a computer for all faculty/staff in the college to
use.

Currently both computers running Y&Y TeX use the Windows XP operating
system.  I helped with the fine tuning using suggestions from Christina's
very helpful email of 2/28/04 on Corrupted NFSS table problems.  It took a
couple of readings but her guidelines plus the suggestion by Ethem Alpaydin
on copying and LaTeXing lucidabr.yy enabled us to run LaTeX on some test
files.  They ran successfully,  Woo Hoo!

Now the problem is that when we try to open the *.dvi files on the Faculty
Resources Center computer we get a couple of Windows errors.  Both are
called WINFONTS errors and are "Too many TT fonts installed" and "No Fonts
to grab (file)."  The Lucida fonts are in c:\windows\fonts and the
dviwindo.ini file contains the line PSFONTS= c:\windows\fonts.  (There is a
folder c:\psfonts that contain both the outline fonts and the *pfm fonts.)
Incidentally, we get the same errors if we try to open the Help file.

I think that the problem is that this computer has an excessive number of
fonts (1300+) which are needed for various graphics applications that are
run in the Center.  Deleting fonts is not an option.  Has anyone had
experience with this problem?  Is the solution to move Y&Y TeX to another
computer without all these extra fonts and dedicate it solely to TeX and
maybe some standard office software?

Don R. Robinson
Professor of Quantitative Methods and University Statistical Fellow
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-5580