Too many TT fonts installed

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Tue Jun 29 10:39:19 CEST 2004

Don Robinson writes:

> I have encountered a problem and hope someone can offer advice.  I have been
> using Y & Y TeX with the complete Lucida font set (at home) for a couple of
> years.  Recently, on my advice, the college acquired the same system with
> Lucida fonts for use by the Faculty Resources Center personnel.  Eventually
> this will be available on a computer for all faculty/staff in the college to
> use.
>
> Currently both computers running Y&Y TeX use the Windows XP operating
> system.  I helped with the fine tuning using suggestions from Christina's
> very helpful email of 2/28/04 on Corrupted NFSS table problems.  It took a
> couple of readings but her guidelines plus the suggestion by Ethem Alpaydin
> on copying and LaTeXing lucidabr.yy enabled us to run LaTeX on some test
> files.  They ran successfully,  Woo Hoo!
>
> Now the problem is that when we try to open the *.dvi files on the Faculty
> Resources Center computer we get a couple of Windows errors.  Both are
> called WINFONTS errors and are "Too many TT fonts installed" and "No Fonts
> to grab (file)."  The Lucida fonts are in c:\windows\fonts and the
> dviwindo.ini file contains the line PSFONTS= c:\windows\fonts.  (There is a
> folder c:\psfonts that contain both the outline fonts and the *pfm fonts.)
> Incidentally, we get the same errors if we try to open the Help file.
>
> I think that the problem is that this computer has an excessive number of
> fonts (1300+) which are needed for various graphics applications that are
> run in the Center.  Deleting fonts is not an option.  Has anyone had
> experience with this problem?  Is the solution to move Y&Y TeX to another
> computer without all these extra fonts and dedicate it solely to TeX and
> maybe some standard office software?
>
> Don R. Robinson
> Professor of Quantitative Methods and University Statistical Fellow
> Illinois State University
> Normal, IL 61790-5580

Do you by chance have Adobe Type Manager on the machine?

On XP machines, it's supposed to be very useful for managing (NOT
installing) fonts for different applications. That is, you set up
folders for each application (or maybe group of applications), and
then indicate which fonts are supposed to be active when that app's
running.

At least, that's what I understand is the case ;-) I'm not on XP but I
have seen the ATM Deluxe set up to activate the Y&Y fonts.

That's one issue.

The other is this TT business. Y&YTeX is supposed to work best with
Type1 fonts ... so if TrueType fonts are turning up, then this could
be a problem. Now, I believe that there are some users here in the
group who use TT fonts and know how to wrangle 'em ;-) When I was
first working with Y&YTeX, it was replacing PCTeX, which used TT
fonts. We had a devil of a time purging the TTs, but it had to be
done, in order to get the machine to to to the Type1s.

I think that all of the past year's e-mail is now archived at the
yandytex site:

http://lists.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=yandytex&D=0&F=l&H=0&O=T&S=&T=1

Yes! Wow ... neat-oh, Peter! Thanks.

OK. So if you get no pertinent replies (you know ... nothing more
specific than my babblings ;-) ), go through the archives. I'm pretty
sure the TT/T1 business has come up before.

Ch.

P.S. If you ever have a moment's peace ... or want to seriously avoid
     doing something like `work' ;-)), could you write up a summary
     of what you did for the NFSS problem? We could use good
     step-by-step instructions for that sort of thing ... Much better
     than asking people to wade through all that verbiage! ;-))