Trouble after installing YandY

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Thu Jul 8 15:07:05 CEST 2004

Mohamad Hindawi writes:

> I installed YandY this morning and now I have a lot of trouble processing
> tex files. The main problem is, there are files which seem to be missing
> or that latex can not find them. almost all the packages which I want to
> use, in addition to amsclasses, etc.
>
> I am not sure if I missed something when I installed the system which made
> life so hard like this.
>
> The system has a well known bug, when it trys to install stuff from CTAN
> folder, so I skipped that part.
>
> Now I do not know which folder I am suppose to copy these files to, I
> tried c:\yandy\tex\latex\contrib. But that does not seems to help.
>
> Could you please help.

I'm going to assume you're getting messages about missing packages --
it's always more helpful to include the .log file of the most recent
defective processing run, since the info contained in the .log file
can be awfully handy ... once you figure out how to read the darn
things!

I'm also going to assume you're using the most recent Y&YTeX, which is
version 2.2.8. If you look in the .ini file (usually stored in
c:/windows, I believe -- it's NOT in the c:\yandy tree), the opening
lines will tell you which version of 2.2.* you have.

Anyways, I'm going to append one of my three ;-) `bug fix' files,
which may address (some of) the problems you're encountering.

Now, once you've done this, it's _possible_ you'll also run into
bitter complaints about NFSS. If so, I have another file for that, but
it's really just a collection of e-mail messages and not very nicely
laid out in point form ;-(

I'm pretty sure that at least one person, if not two, have actually
waded through the messy NFSS messages, and posted a more succinct
summary. These would be available through the yandytex list archives
-- truly one of the great advantages to having a proper LISTSERV list!

But for now, see if the following set of notes helps get your system
un-stuck enough for you to process files again.

Ch.

=====

==== installation bugs with 2.2.8

PLEASE NOTE: I am no longer convinced that the boites.sty problem is
as benign as first noted in this list. I _think_ that it aborts the
installation process and thus some of the subsequent problems
arise. But until and unless someone installs Y&YTeX WITHOUT the CTAN
portion of the installation, I can't be absolutely certain of that.

One idea that was proposed is to just not proceed with the CTAN
portion of the installation (and do it manually, later, if needed),
but as that activity usually happens before anyone signs up for this
list ;-)) it's kind of moot.

Anyways, if anyone has clarifications or improvements or additions to
make to this list, I'd really appreciate seeing them posted here.

Thanks.

Ch.

         Bugs in current Y&YTeX install CD (CT experiences):
         =================================

1. During the final installation segment (to add additional packages
   from CTAN), an error message box pops up, complaining that the
   boites package cannot be found. This is because the package no
   longer exists on CTAN but the installation script for writing
   Y&YTeX CDs hasn't been updated and thus still wants to copy the
   file off the CD. A benign message -- just hit <return> and
   installation will finish.

2. DVIWindo's TeX menu is missing a `LaTeX' entry. To remedy, two
   edits (using an ASCII editor) must be made to the dviwindo.ini
   file, which resides in either c:\winnt or in c:\windows -- make
   sure to have your machine set up to display all (hidden) files and
   their extensions in order to locate the file.

   a. In the [Environment] section, add the following line:

      LATEX=c:\yandy\texinput;c:\yandy\tex\latex\\;c:\yandy\tex\base\\

      This is usually just above the BIBINPUT lines. This sets the
      path for LaTeX to find all its input files.

   b. In the [Applications] section, add the following line:

      LaTeX|F8=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +latex @.tex
            ^^
      This adds an entry in the TeX menu that you can pull down to
      process a LaTeX file. Make sure there is no duplication of
      F-key assignments ;-)

   c. If you want to also have access to old LaTeX 2.09, then add
      these two lines, to the two respective sections of the .ini
      file:

       i. LPLAIN=c:\yandy\texinput;c:\yandy\tex\base\\;c:\yandy\tex\latex209\\
      ii. LaTeX 2.09|F7=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +lplain @.tex
                     ^^

3. There are multiple locations for two different versions of the
   docstrip files:

   a. Docstrip.dtx    ..\tex\latex\base             8/7/00
   b. Docstrip.ins    ..\tex\latex\base             8/30/00
   c. docstrip.dtx    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         8/7/00
   d. docstrip.ins    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         8/30/00
   e. docstrip.tex    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         9/5/00
   f. docstrip.tex    ..\texinput                   1/8/98
   g. docstrip.tex    ..\yandytex\tex\texinput      1/8/98

   Delete all 1998 versions before processing any .ins files that
   require the docstrip package.

[Robin, that the .ins and .dtx files don't have the same day in AUG
 2000 is not important ... is it?]

4. The /graphics subfolder is incomplete. Locate:

      d:\CTAN\LaTeX\required\graphics

   and copy graphics.ins into

       c:\yandy\tex\latex\required\graphics

   Now process this file (`latex graphics.ins') watch it generate all
   the necessary files for graphics-related work.

5. In the same \graphics folder, again using an ASCII editor, create
   two config. files:

   a. graphics.cfg
   b. color.cfg

   The contents of both should be the following single line:

      \ExecuteOption{dvipsone}

   As mentioned, these two files should be installed in

      c:\yandy\tex\latex\required\graphics

6. There are some left-over files from the BibTeX upgrade:

   a. bibtex.exe (172kb) is duplicated in c:\yandy\utils -- delete,
      once you've confirmed that it is also in the proper location of
      c:\yandy\bibtex

   b. if you need Acm.bst, you'll find it in texinput\bstinput; for
      ease of use, please move to bibtex\bst. The \bibtex\bstinput and
      bibtex\bibinput contents are otherwise identical to the old
      folders which may still be present in c:\yandy\texinput.

=====   end of bug reports/fixes