another windows xp problem?

Frank Ganz fganz at springer-ny.com
Fri Jan 23 14:16:23 CET 2004

Dear John,

The best way to tackle any issue is by stating the error message word for word. You haven't done so.

To illustrate why this is important, here's an example of my own exprience:

(1) A user creates a document that uses only CM fonts. The user knows this.
(2) The user opens the DVI file in DVIWINDO and sees an error message. He only knows it has to do with fonts, but not what's wrong specifically
(3) The user jumps to the conclusion that there's a problem with the fonts in the document.

Now somebody else deciphers the error message and establishes, that the fonts that cannot be found are not used in the document, but are fonts another program uses, i.e.: Word (part of Office). For some reason there is a conflict when DVIWINO and Word are open at the same time. Closing Word makes the error go away.

This may not be your situation, but serves as an illustration why it's important to have very good problem descriptions including exact wording of error messages.

So, please make sure to specify the error message word for word.

Thanks,
Frank