pdf printing

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 6 14:28:50 CET 2004

Greg Anderson writes:

> I have developed a problem printing a pdf file. Printing directly (from
> DVIWindo)to the Acrobat Distiller produces the message;
>
> The specified resource cannot be found in the image file.
>
> Printing to my postscript printer (HP1220C/PS) checking 'print to file' and
> 'use DVIPSONE' to produce a PS file produces a PS file OK, but always only
> page 1. If 'All' pages is checked, the print box always reverts to 'Pages 1
> to 1'.
>
> I used to have no problem. I don't know what has changed.

Oh, famous last words! That is, you may not have changed anything but
... is your machine by any chance networked? Is this a work or home
machine? If work, then I'd really suspect someone of perhaps having
done a `system or program upgrade' of some sort -- or perhaps having
installed a new driver in the printer you're used to using.

There has to be _something_ that's been changed, somewhere.

Or, it may just be a random bit of flukiness -- the bane of all
debugging efforts ;-( In which case, power the whole thing down, power
back up, and see if everyone's now happy with a reboot ...

But I'd first spend time trying to identify an
unsuspected/unspecified/undocumented `change' in the larger working
environment. Then reboot your own machine.

Oh, one more thing -- do a test using a .pdf file that you _know_ was
working before. That is, test a known working file to see if it's the
computer environment that's changed -- or perhaps the way the .pdf
file's been generated.

Once those potential causes have been eliminated, get back to us and
perhaps someone will have had time to come up with more potential
causes for such a problem developing out of thin air.