Problem with Laptop and installation

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Mon Jan 5 17:41:50 CET 2004

On Jan05 05:14PM, Blenda Horn wrote:
> Dear techsupport,
>
> Dr. de Bruyn sent me this email with a problem he had and still has, after installing Y&Y TeX on his laptop.  Any idea what the cause of this could be?
>
> Regards,
> Blenda.
>
> PS. I manually subscribed him to techsupport.
>

> Date:  Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:58:49 -0000
>
> hello,
>
> I recently purchased YandY TeX from you. I have installed it and it seems to
> work fine, but there is a strange problem which I think must somehow be
> related to your software.
>
> I installed it on my laptop which runs windows XP. Normally, the laptop
> should "go to sleep" after being inactive for a certain time. However, ever
> since I installed your software it cannot go to sleep - instead an error
> message pops up saying that the keyboard driver is preventing it from going
> to sleep.
>
> I am 99% sure this is a result of something to do with the YandY TeX
> installation, since I haven't added or changed anything else and the problem
> started immediately after it was installed. Have you ever seen this, and do
> you have any suggestions?

this is most weird  ;-)   I can't think of any "drivers" installed
with Y&Y ....   and the only suggestion I would have is to go
to your control panel and go thru the add hardward/software

and "troubleshoot" your keyboard driver  ;-)

settings  -> control panel  -> Add Hardward -> HID keyboard device

keep clicking next and  say "hardware has been installed"  and it
should go into troubleshooting mode  ;-)

I'e had trouble with my modem and I've gone thru this process
so many times I can do it in the dark with my eyes closed  ;-(

if it *is* anything to do with Y&Y, it must be something extremely
obscure   ;-)    I've never heard of anything like this before.
I'd be tempted to ask

what brand computer
what braod keyboard
what keyboard driver  (was it installed when you bought the computer?)

and then you could always uninstall Y&Y completely and see if it
fixes the problem....   It won't delete any folders you created
yourself, only those that were installed by the setup WISE installer...

mimi