mathtime(plus) install isn't working with teTeX

MImi Burbank mimi at CSIT.FSU.EDU
Wed Apr 21 22:36:36 CEST 2004

Hi again,

this message is from the developer of Y&Y TeX
[  I currently don't have my windows machine and cannot
test anything  ;-(    ]

Addendum:

The fact that DVIPS *did* correctly include MTSYN, but not RMTMI and
not MTEX, suggests that this may in fact be a problem with
uppercase/lowercase mismatch. I am a little fuzzy on this, but I
believe the "current" mathtime.sty uses lower case names for LaTeX
control sequences, and mtfonts.fdd (and files derived from it) uses
all upper case names for the actual "fonts" (really just TeX metric
files).

These are the names that TeX puts into the DVI file. It is worthwhile
reading the DVI file into a text editor and checking whether these
names in the DVI file are upper case or lower case. MTSYN, MTEX, MTMI,
RMTMI etc, should be all upper case there. From whatthe user's DVIPS
produces, this appears to be correctly the case in the user's DVI
file.

   DVIPS then performs a "translation" from the DVI font names to
actual font file names using entries in the appropriate psfonts.map
file. The result has to match in case the names of the PFB
files. Depending on how the files were transferred or unpacked from
compressed form, they might end up having upper or lower case names.
I believe at the request of people who read lowest-common-denominator
representation of files on CD on Unix, these are now all lowercase
(when originally they were all uppercase, so as to match the TeX font
file names). In that case, the psfonts.map file should map from upper
case font names to lower case file names. Naturally if the file names
are lower case, then psfonts.map should map to those lower case
names.

   So, check the case of the PFB file names for MTEX, MTSYN, RMTMI
   etc. and then check psfonts.map for MathTime to see whether it
   corresponds.

   There may very well have been some confusion introduced into teTeX
because of (unwarranted) changes over the years in the case of the
file names on Unix, and in the style files...

mimi