Three Crazy Fonts

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Thu Apr 15 10:38:57 CEST 2004

Angela Partain writes:

> Hello all.  I have pinpointed my problem, thanks to the collective =
> efforts and assistance of everyone who has so graciously given of their =
> time.
> ____________________________
>
> 1. My problem:=20
>     a. When I type $\mathbb{R}$, I get "Can't find font - msbm10"
>     b. When I type $\mathcal{R}$, I get "Can't find font - cmsy10"
>     c. When I type $\triangleq$, I get "Can't find font - msam10"
>
> If I can just get these three fonts working, my problem is solved and I =
> will leave everyone alone for a while (hopefully a LONG while!)

Not a chance!  Once the fonts are solved, then some intractable PS
file will come along ... or TIFF ... or you need PDF ... or ;-)))

> ____________________________
>
> 2.  The tfm files for all of the three fonts are listed in:
>                 c:\yandy\fonts\tfm\nontext
> ____________________________
>
> 3.  None of them are listed in c:\windows\fonts

I've search my laptop (NT) for all cases of msbm*.* and find the
following:

    all PFBs are in c:\psfonts
    all PFMs are in c:\psfonts\pfm
    all TFMs are in c:\yandy\fonts\tfm\nontext

So far, so good for your TFMs ;-)

Now about those other guys ...

> ____________________________
>
> 4. My question:  How can I get DviWindo to recognize these fonts?  Are =
> they installed or not? If not, how can I install them? I tried copying =
> them to c:\windows\fonts, and it will not allow me to do this (I am =
> using WinXP).  I tried saving them into the c:\windows\fonts folder from =
> ctan, and it seems to work, but when I look into the Win Explorer file, =
> the fonts are not there.=20

You say `copy' ... as in 'using a copy utility'? Or as in `dragging
the red-a icon labelled font from the CD over to the c:\windows\fonts
folder?

Drag and copy aren't the same thing ...

> ____________________________
>
> 5.  Is the problem in my preamble?  I've copied the relevant parts =
> below:
>
>       \documentclass[twoside,10pt]{article}
>       \usepackage[intlimits]{amsmath}
>       \usepackage{amsbsy}
>       \usepackage[psamsfonts]{amsfonts}
>       \usepackage[psamsfonts]{amssymb}
>       \usepackage{amstext}
>       \usepackage[mtbold,noTS1,uprightgreek]{mathtime}
>       \usepackage{times}
>       \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

Well, if you can't find any .pfb or .pfm files, the order of elements
in the preamble isn't going to matter ... but once you do get the .pfb
and .pfm files showing up in the right places, and things still don't
work, then yes, juggle the order around a bit.

> ____________________________
>
> 6.  Is the problem in my dviwindo.ini file?  I've copied the relevant =
> parts below:
>
> [Environment]

It all _looks_ ok ...

> ____________________________
>
> 7.  I've tried to list all the information that may be needed.  Please =
> note that while I am very computer literate, a lot of this tex =
> information is a little difficult for me to understand.  I inherited my =
> typesetting job (for a very reputable publishing firm) from an engineer, =
> who trained me in how to use Y&Y and Latex, but all the technical part =
> I've had to learn on my own (mostly through problems like I'm having =

Welcome to the hard-curve of learning! You think I'm a computer
person?! I'm from linguistics! And I'm now on a unixbox, having
by-passed the PC platform for TeX until really only a few years
ago. So you're in good company ... at least, _I_ think I'm good
company ;-)))

> now).  I have studied and researched more in the past two days than I =
> have in a long time, and I still can't get these THREE crazy fonts to =

We'll get 'em. There's bound to be a solution coming along ...