Three Crazy Fonts

Troels Roussau Johansen troelsj at MATH.LSU.EDU
Thu Apr 15 10:29:25 CEST 2004

> 3.  None of them are listed in c:\windows\fonts

As already mentioned by someone else, make sure that a) the fonts ARE copied
over and not simply represented by a shortcut, or b) make sure ATM knows where
to look for the fonts, perhaps c) make sure the fonts are properly placed in
c:\yandy\fonts

> 4. My question:  How can I get DviWindo to recognize these fonts?
> Are they installed or not? If not, how can I install them? I tried
> copying them to c:\windows\fonts, and it will not allow me to do
> this (I am using WinXP).  I tried saving them into the
> c:\windows\fonts folder from ctan, and it seems to work, but when I
> look into the Win Explorer file, the fonts are not there.

Is this you _own_ computer, i.e., do you have administrator privileges?
Otherwise you might be able to create your own folder, say, c:\myfonts, and
add them to the search path in dwindo.ini like this:

 PSFONTS=C:\WINDOWS\fonts;c:\myfonts

> 5.  Is the problem in my preamble?  I've copied the relevant parts below:
>
>       \documentclass[twoside,10pt]{article}
>       \usepackage[intlimits]{amsmath}
>       \usepackage{amsbsy}
>       \usepackage[psamsfonts]{amsfonts}
>       \usepackage[psamsfonts]{amssymb}
>       \usepackage{amstext}
>       \usepackage[mtbold,noTS1,uprightgreek]{mathtime}
>       \usepackage{times}
>       \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
>
> _______

Whenever in doubt, delete! :-) Try to strip away as much as you can. Sometimes
those (re)encoding things have messed with my systems (in the sense that it
should work in an ideal world, but it worked better without ;-) )

> 7.  I've tried to list all the information that may be needed.
>  Please note that while I am very computer literate, a lot of this
> tex information is a little difficult for me to understand.  I
> inherited my typesetting job (for a very reputable publishing firm)
>  from an engineer, who trained me in how to use Y&Y and Latex, but
> all the technical part I've had to learn on my own (mostly through
> problems like I'm having now).  I have studied and researched more
> in the past two days than I have in a long time, and I still can't
> get these THREE crazy fonts to work.  I am very grateful for this
> Y&Y Support Group, and thanks to Mimi, Robin, Joels, and Christina
> for all your help! Very best regards, Angela

For what it is worth, until a few days ago I couldn't get the Times Italics to
show up in my documents. Now  they appear in dvi files, but the postscript
files only contains a nasty-looking pixel font version :-( It works flawlessly
on my Linux box, though. I have been using LaTeX for the better part of 10
years, but font issues still seem to get me :'(

/Troels