Bullets

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 10:59:48 CEST 2003

Maurizio Vianello writes:

> \usepackage[altbullet]{lucidbry}
>
> I get nice correct bullets, and this solves my problem.

we're winning...

> If I use
>
> \usepackage[altbullet]{lucidabr}
>
> bullets are OK but text is CM rather than Lucida (!!!)
>
> The files lucidabr.sty and lucidbry.sty which I have in my PC seem to refer
> to the same date (1999/03/29). Actually, lucidbry.sty is very short and
> points to lucidabr.sty.

it loads lucidabr with your options as well as expert,vargreek, and
sets the font encoding to ly1.  so it's not quite as simple as you
suggest.

i can't remember, without reading what's going on inside lucidabr, why
simply loading it doesn't provide text in lucida.  the file
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/lucidabr/lucidabr.txt says

  `Wrapper' packages lucidabrb and lucidabry are still distributed
  that just call the new lucidabr package with suitable options
  to emulate the old package of those names.

> Finally,
>
> if I load package a4.sty
> AFTER loading lucidbry.sty I get a shorter page than if I do the opposite.
>
> Does anyone know the correct order to load packages?

proper size packages adjust the page size to the way the font "works".
a4.sty isn't considered a "proper" package, but it obviously takes
some note of the size of lines of text with lucida in them.  load it
after lucidbry; there's a danger of excess over/underful \vboxes if
your text body size isn't matched to the size of your font.

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team