Font problem (info and question)

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 15 12:11:29 CEST 2003

To add to all this

Some summary points:

1. Regular ATM (also known as ATM Lite) itself should not be used on
Windows XP (and perhaps Win 2000 -- check the Adobe web site if you have
doubts).

2.  If you did install ATM Lite and have uninstalled it, you should
download the appropriate ATMFIX.EXE file from Adobe's site to repair your
native Windows font handling, which WILL be damaged by installing/removing ATM.

3. ATM Deluxe adds font management (installation - removal - activation -
deactivation), and it is compatible with Windows XP.  However, it has its
own ATMFIX.EXE patch that should be applied when used under Win 2K or Win XP.

4. Our two users have found that Y&Y works perfectly well under XP when ATM
Deluxe has been installed, but without ATM Deluxe, we've had problems that
we couldn't fix except by installing ATM Deluxe and reinstalling
Y&Y.  Perhaps true gurus might have been able to fix them otherwise, but we
mortals couldn't.

5. I find the Type 1 font support of Windows XP to be peculiar, as when we
installed the Y&Y fonts, XP complained that they couldn't be converted to
TrueType format.  What is that about?  Also, we find poorer screen
rendering of Type 1 fonts than TrueType fonts under XP.

6. I repeat that the Y&Y documentation is clearly out of date, with no
updates even on the Web page.  This causes confusion and irritation and
leads to .....

A question:

6. Can anyone here say whether active development of Y&Y TeX is going
on?  For example, is there any work on resolving these font issues and
updating the documentation, at least?  Or is Y&Y TeX on its way to becoming
like OS/2 -- a superior system that through lack of development and support
lost its relevance?

I for one would be willing to buy an update if it added some value.

Mike

--
Michael Prager      <Mike.Prager at noaa.gov>
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official. No government
endorsement of any product is made or implied.