Font problem

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 15 09:58:29 CEST 2003

Herbert Gintis writes:

> --=====================_168964109==_.ALT
>
> At 08:57 AM 9/15/2003 -0400, Mike Prager wrote:
>
> > From all the reports and my experiences, it seems that Y&Y (especially
> > DVIPSONE) does not work well in finding fonts under Windows XP unless ATM
> > Deluxe is used.  Another user here had absolutely no luck, despite
> > installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, and so on, until he used ATM to
> > manage the fonts.  This need work by Y&Y.  The documentation is also
> > confusing, scattered, and out of date.
>          Y & Y appears to have moved to the Bahamas....

No, just moved to another Boston-area address ;-) What's changed is
that the old one-on-one support became unavailable late last year,
this volunteer support group took shape early in January, and the
mailing forum list thingie only came on-line in February. So things
have just changed, not moved ;-)

Support is not only shared, in terms of trying to provide answers, but
the audience is now everyone on the list, not just one person. Indeed,
the idea is for all users to have a forum not only for queries but
also helpful hints and suggestions based on their own
experiences. Very few of us know everything because very few of us do
everything ;-) But as a group of users, we can mine one another's
experiences, from fonts to file conversion -- the latest business
about the massive number of graphics files that needed massaging via a
script which Tom K. kindly provided ...

So one answer can often help a lot of people at the same time -- much
more efficient, and a lot less repetitive. The downside, of course, is
that we don't get a custom-fit answer just for our specific situation
... and sometimes it really does seem like we're fishing for answers,
occasionally even flailing. But it's a heck of a lot better than
silence, no? ;-))

As for the documentation being out of date, and the info scattered
... we've been lamenting about that for months on this forum ;-(( So
all the more reason for us to keep posting details on how to do things
better!

>          Actually, I was warned by Louis NOT to use ATM with XP, or I might
> have to reinstall XP itself.

All documentation warns that having ATM _active_ on a Win2000/XP
machine will cause problems that are difficult to back out of. ATM can
stay on the machine, but you've got to first turn it off, as per the
ATM documentation. That's all to do with the installation phase.

Afterwards, if you have ATM, it can be used to _manage_ the fonts.

All of this I've found in various spots throughout the documentation,
both written and in .txt files.

As for conflicts between ATM and DVIPSONE, which is the printer
driver, see p.24 of the Technical Manual for details on what these two
programs use in order to access a given font. I'm not sure they
actually have anything to do with one another ... but I may be reading
the text incorrectly.

And there are no XP-specific notes, which isn't surprising as the
stuff was written before XP had become really prevalent. I think the
mail we've had on this forum is probably the best resource at the
moment, when it comes to XP + Y&YTeX ;-)

>          I don't know what ATM Delux is. What is it? Free checking? 8-}

I wish ;-))

I think it's ATM Deluxe that allows you to create application-specific
folders and then indicate which fonts are to be active for that
application. How that's all done, I'll leave to those who actually
have ATM in use to manage the Y&YTeX fonts. On an XP machine ;-)