PSTricks problem

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 14:54:06 CEST 2003

At 04:59 PM 9/11/2003 +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>herbert gintis writes:
>
> > I just installed PSTricks on my laptop. When I compile the test program
> > that come with it (test-pst.tex), I get an error message from Acrobat
> > Distiller, saying there's an error in the ps file, then "OffendingCommand:
> > SDict". Any idea what this means?
> >
> > The first commands that lead to this error are:
> >
> > \begin{pspicture}(-1,0)(2,2)
> >    \begin{psclip}{\psdiamond(1.5,0.2)(2.0,0.5)}
> >      \Huge Scary Monsters
> >    \end{psclip}
> > \end{pspicture}
>
>where did you get your copy of pstricks from?
         CTAN. I got the 1997 version, which I was told is the most recent.
         Of course, this should work, since it comes right out of the LaTeX
Graphics Companion.

>i'm not sure this is significant, but (a) pstricks was developed for
>the freeware dvips, (b) SDict is a postscript dictionary that dvips
>creates for use when processing \special commands, and (c) i don't
>know whether dvipsone is _supposed_ to have the same internal
>structure here (it does share ancestry with dvips).
         I looked out the PS file. I don't think the SDict error message
refers to the real problem. Typical error message!
         There is a special pstricks.con for Y&Y. It comes with the
pstricks distribution.
>(note, i'm at home sick, and don't have any y&y manuals with me, so
>don't know if the faq -- for example -- says anything about this
>matter.)
         There are a few implementation suggestions, which I took without
solving the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Best,

Herb Gintis

>robin

Herbert Gintis
Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of
Massachusetts
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com.
New Email Address is hgintis at comcast.net
There is no sorrow so great that does not find
its background in joy.
                                                 Niels Bohr (1938)