Do we need ATM Deluxe under WinXP?

Robert Ryan robertdryan at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 18 15:12:27 CEST 2003

Dietrich,

I use (and have used) Y&YTeX on three computers with three operating
systems, 98, ME, and XP. In no case have I used ATM Deluxe. In all
cases, I made straightforward installations, the fonts appeared in the
correct folders, and the system works well (modulo a graphics problem),
with the following exception.

Unless I use the 1024x760 resolution (rather than 800x600) in XP and a
relatively high magnification in Dviwindo,  some of the fonts (Times
italic, for example) appear "thin" and "sketchy." With a higher
magnification, they look great. Under 98, everything looked good at
lower resolution. (And high resolution is hard on old, tired eyes.)

When I compare the same page of math and text printed under 98 and XP
(same printer, same cartridge), the XP page looks a little "light." I am
not getting that solid look that MathTime produces under 98.

These are sorts of nuisance problems; they do not effect the final
product, which is the published book or article. I do, however, try to
have my system produce as near as possible the same hard copy that the
publisher produces. This is the reason I am using Y&Y on the current
project.

Regards, Robert