Do we need ATM Deluxe under WinXP?

Peter Scott pscott at umich.edu
Fri Oct 17 08:18:38 CEST 2003

  Does ATM Deluxe 4.0 work with Windows XP, or do I need to buy version
4.1?
 Peter Scott

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Mike Prager wrote:

> I'd like to add to Christina's remarks.
>
> At 02:49 PM 10/16/2003, Christina Thiele wrote:
>
> >I know what you mean about the confusion! But it _seems_ to me that
> >the comments [on ATM Deluxe under XP] have settled down to separating out
> >the two activities of
> >installation and usage.
>
> I don't entirely agree, as should be clear from my further comments.
>
> >   a. NO ATM for installation -- or rather, make sure that ATM has been
> >      turned off. The XP installation instructions for fonts are what
> >      you use -- Win2000 and XP have a built-in rasteriser (I just
> >      repeat the stuff I read! I don't actually know/understand that
> >      the heck this `rasteriser' is doing ;-)). But it's involved in
> >      sending the font files to the right places, and making sure that
> >      everything is properly `registered'.
>
> At our laboratory, the two Y&Y users have found that ATM Deluxe can be used
> successfully to install fonts under Windows XP, as Adobe says. That is true
> whether the fonts are used by Y&Y or not. Indeed, we've had better results
> with ATM installed than with it not installed. THERE IS A PATCH ON THE
> ADOBE WEB SITE THAT SHOULD BE INSTALLED, ALSO.
>
> Whether ATM Deluxe is used or not, the rasterization (conversion of a
> vector font into a displayable image) is done by Windows XP itself, NOT by
> ATM. The opposite was the case under, e.g., Windows NT4 or Windows 95.
>
> >   b. ATM Deluxe allows you to active/deactivate fonts for specific
> >      applications (e.g., Y&YTeX), and thus sidesteps the memory
> >      issues. Or so it seems from posts to techsupport
>
> Yes, it can allow fonts (or groups of fonts) to be activated and
> deactivated.  That can be very useful if you own many fonts but don't use
> most of them frequently.  I leave the Lucida, CM, and MathTime sets
> activated all the time, along with about 200 other TrueType and Type 1
> fonts, without noticeable memory issues. This is on a machine with 512Mb of
> RAM. Windows XP has pretty good memory management.
>
> What Christina did not mention is that there is a THIRD aspect of font
> usage in Y&Y TeX:  the ability of all components of Y&Y TeX (including
> DVIWindo and DVIPSONE) to find (and thus use) the installed fonts.  Our two
> users of Y&Y TeX (I am one of them) have NOT been successful at getting
> that to happen under Windows XP unless ATM Deluxe was used to install (and
> thus manage) the fonts.  Am I saying it can't be done?  No!  But I am
> saying that despite a lot of fiddling, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., we
> were unable to get it to work without ATM.  After we installed ATM Deluxe
> and then Y&Y, everything worked perfectly.  So I would consider purchase of
> ATM Deluxe a worthwhile investment for someone installing Y&Y on Windows XP.
>
> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has got it to work without
> using ATM.  Did you do anything special?
>
> ...Mike
>

> --
> Michael Prager, Ph.D.
> [...]

Peter Scott                                        Office: East Hall 3842
Mathematics Department, East Hall              Office Phone: 734-764-0377
University of Michigan                       Department Fax: 734-763-0937
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1109             Department Phone: 734-764-0335