Do we need ATM Deluxe under WinXP?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Oct 16 20:23:08 CEST 2003

Mike Prager writes:

> I'd like to add to Christina's remarks.

Good stuff! Really. It's good to see some solid info coming forth,
esp. re: XP and ATM.

> At 02:49 PM 10/16/2003, Christina Thiele wrote:

> whether the fonts are used by Y&Y or not. Indeed, we've had better results
> with ATM installed than with it not installed. THERE IS A PATCH ON THE
> ADOBE WEB SITE THAT SHOULD BE INSTALLED, ALSO.

Two queries here:

   a. I think I'd written that ATM had to be turned off during
      installation, not necessarily that it not even be installed.
      Do you mean `installed' above, or `turned on'? Just a niggle,
      but apparently an important distinction.

   b. Can you give us the URL for the patch, for handy reference.

> Whether ATM Deluxe is used or not, the rasterization (conversion of a
> vector font into a displayable image) is done by Windows XP itself, NOT by
> ATM. The opposite was the case under, e.g., Windows NT4 or Windows 95.

Yes. That much I did know. As for `rasterising', understanding will
come ... it's the `vector font' bit that is still greek to me ;-) But
that's ok with me right now.

> >   b. ATM Deluxe allows you to active/deactivate fonts for specific
> >      applications (e.g., Y&YTeX), and thus sidesteps the memory
> >      issues. Or so it seems from posts to techsupport
>
> Yes, it can allow fonts (or groups of fonts) to be activated and
> deactivated.  That can be very useful if you own many fonts but don't use
> most of them frequently.  I leave the Lucida, CM, and MathTime sets
> activated all the time, along with about 200 other TrueType and Type 1
> fonts, without noticeable memory issues. This is on a machine with 512Mb of
> RAM. Windows XP has pretty good memory management.

So, if this +/- activation of fonts doesn't really affect memory, what
is the benefit of having this feature? Hmmm ... what if I look at my
ATM manual? ;-)) The old one, for NT machines. Ah, it's clearly not
ATM Deluxe, 'coz there's a para. about upgrading to Deluxe. OK. So it
won't tell me about Deluxe's +/- activation benefits.

On the other hand, p.6 of this old manual does talk about Type 1 vs
TrueType font conversions and which ones are done in what order
... perhaps people who've been having problems getting the right font
to work might find something useful here ... but that's a big tangent

> What Christina did not mention is that there is a THIRD aspect of font

What Christina does not know ... ;-)) ... is pretty impressively large
;-))

> usage in Y&Y TeX:  the ability of all components of Y&Y TeX (including
> DVIWindo and DVIPSONE) to find (and thus use) the installed fonts.  Our two
> users of Y&Y TeX (I am one of them) have NOT been successful at getting
> that to happen under Windows XP unless ATM Deluxe was used to install (and
> thus manage) the fonts.  Am I saying it can't be done?  No!  But I am
> saying that despite a lot of fiddling, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., we
> were unable to get it to work without ATM.  After we installed ATM Deluxe
> and then Y&Y, everything worked perfectly.  So I would consider purchase of
> ATM Deluxe a worthwhile investment for someone installing Y&Y on Windows XP.

OK. I'll add that to my list when I go XP shopping ...

> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has got it to work without
> using ATM.  Did you do anything special?
>
> ...Mike

Again, Mike, thanks for adding to the discussion and clearly up my
fuzziness. Like you, I'll be interested in reading about other
experiences.