XP reference guide ...

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:50:34 CEST 2003

On Oct14 11:33AM, Christina Thiele wrote:
> Since I'm facing an NT --> XP upgrade some day ;-)) my eye was caught

I've got one - but I can't install my CD on it...  If yours
balks at the boites.sty being missing - it will not install...
on Windows 2000 it chugged right along after that, but on XP
it will not..

> In going through it quickly, I find this under `Control Panel' and
> mention it because it differs from what we've usually been doing with
> Win2000 -- and certainly differs from the older OSs, which need(ed)
> ATM for proper font installation:
>
>     Fonts displays all fonts installed in the system and allows for
>     adding fonts (by selecting File, Install New Font) and removing
>     fonts (by selecting the font(s) and <Delete>).
>
> Is this what all you XP users are in fact doing, rather than the
> Win2000 instruction in the manuals (which seem to assume it's the same
> for both OSs), which says to just drag the .pfm files over to the
> \fonts folder in c:\winnt (although we also seem to see XP machines
> where it's the c:\windows folder that has \fonts in it).
>
> Any comments ... a.k.a. guidance for the/my future? ;-)

just one - the number of fonts you add to this folder inreases
the amount of memory used to "operate" your computer -  if you
add all the Cm fonts and the Lucida fonts - plus all those
lovely weird fonts you use in your typesetting, you'll *never*
get any memory on your machine - it will all be tied up "reading
fonts"   ;-)  ...

of course you can buy more memory too ;-)

mimi