GSView problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 20:47:10 CEST 2003

> I recently got a new computer with Windows XP.  I use WinEDT as my TeX
> editor and after
>
> Tex'ing a document (YandY is my TeX engine), I then click on the dvips icon
> to get a ps file.

do you _really_ mean dvips?  or do you mean the (quite different) y&y
dvipsone?

> However GSView then is unable to find the computer modern fonts and
> substitutes Courier - the resulting document is naturally horrible.
> (In GSView, when I look at File>Show messages, it states that it is
> unable to find the fonts required and makes those substitutions).
>
> 1.	How do I get the viewer (and the doc prints with those Courier
> fonts)  to find the CMfonts - by the way on my older computer with the same
> configurations I have no problems.  Is this a GSView problem or a YandY
> problem or  a WinEdt problem?

ghostscript (which gsview uses as a postscript engine) _can_ be
configured to know about cm fonts, but nobody bothers because it's a
waste of effort.  a properly configured postscript producer will have
the fonts (or those parts of the fonts necessary for printing the
document) embedded in the document.

> 2.	GSView opens older (good) ps files and finds appropriate fonts with
> no problems - its only the new ps files which I create with dvips that seem
> to create a problem.

so you _used_ to have the fonts.  when you re-installed on your new
computer, did you also install the cm fonts that you (presumably)
bought when you bought y&y tex originally?

if you did, it's "merely" a problem of finding what you've
misconfigured.

if you didn't, install them now, and try again.

> 3.	The same problem occured with another colleague who just recently
> got a new Dell as well.  He uses MikTeX and WinEdt as the front end -  it
> would thus appear that this might not have anything to do with YandY.  Has
> anyone else encountered this problem?

it's the same problem -- non-standard fonts not available -- but
unlikely to be from the same cause.  one fairly regularly finds people
on the tex newsgroup comp.text.tex have made this sort of mistake with
miktex or tetex or something.

robin