[jcm@lms.ac.uk: RE: Your Y&Y problems]

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Mon Mar 31 11:25:19 CEST 2003

Sue is having a devil of a time getting
version 2.2 to work on her machine.    This file will perhaps
need printing out and reading - it is rather long... and I
have not attached the sample files...    request them and I'll
make them available ...

The "indented text" appears to be the information that we sent
to her...

also, this seems to be a rather urgent matter as well...

mimi

----- Forwarded message from Sue Rodd <jcm at lms.ac.uk> -----

Dear Mimi

Thanks for your messages -- it's taken a while to work through it all, but
I'm afraid there is still a problem!

	1. Rename dviwindo.ini to dviwindo-old.ini (or some such).

Done

	2. Uninstall Y&YTeX 2.2 via the normal Win2000 mechanism.

Done

	3. Confirm that the v.2.2 CD has all the font folders
        needed. If any are absent, then check that they're
	available on the older v.2.1  CD.

Not the case -- I need Times small caps (which we bought from Adobe), plus
various other fonts, if authors use unusual ones. Also, it's 2.0, not 2.1.

4. Remove all fonts that were just `slid across' from v. 2.1 -- make
   sure that none of them are required for any other applications.

     Remember that there are both .PFB files and .TFM files and
     ALL should go. Confirm what needs to be removed by looking
     at the contents of the v.2.2 CD font folders, which will be
     used for the new installation of fonts.

I assume you mean PFB and PFM, as the TFM files go automatically on
uninstall. I took out all the odds and sods that weren't working, but left
the ones that are.

	5. READ AND FOLLOW the Installation instructions on pp.4-5 of the
   	smaller manual on font installation -- these have to be done
   	BEFORE Y&YTeX is installed. Start with the 2.2 CD and then add
  	 anything left over from the 2.1 CD. That is, only use the CDs to
  	 install the fonts. Again, recall that `fonts' aren't just one file
   	but two. Using the CDs makes this automatic so you shouldn't have
   	to do anything but watch as everything gets installed where it
   	should go.

Done -- practically instantaneous. Used only the 2.2 disk.

	6. Now go ahead and install 2.2 again. For production purposes,
   	we would recommend installing every LaTeX option box there is --
   	including 2.09 ... you never know when an old file may come along
   	and you need to see what it's doing before upgrading its code.

I've put in a full installation with everything that was going, using the
defaults. But I had to put the tirsc in afterwards when I realised they'd
been bought separately.  The person at Adobe tech support said just to copy
across using a floppy, which I did, and the TFM files were made
automaticaly, and all seems happy!  Does this actually mean that I CAN "drag
and drop" extra fonts as per the instructions, despite what you said? I ran
setupttf and put the IgnoreBadInstall=1 in for good measure. I now don't
seems to get the "expecting number not "dup" error messages, so that is a
step in the right direction -- thanks!

   The new install will write a fresh dviwindo.ini file. Details on
   the .ini file's entries are on pp.11-17 of the smaller manual. It
   looks horribly intimidating, but if you go through it, line by
   line, a general sense of understanding can/will ;-) develop.
   However, it may well be that the whole problem is merely
   font-related (just don't drag those files around!) so the need to
   really really examine the .ini file _may_ be academic. One of those
   `We leave the analysis to the student, as an exercise' ... ;-)

I'm now using the new ini file, plain vanilla, except for IgnoreBadInstall,
and the DVIWINDO preferences (-K -y 142) that I've always used.

   And for additional info-overload ...
      The FAQ portion of the Technical Addendum (pp.68-76) has
      several queries related to fonts, which may be helpful. As
      well, there are two FAQs up on the website (www.yandy.com)
      under Support -- while nominally on separate topics, there
      is always some overlap between `font' and `system' topics
      (as well as some duplication with the printed FAQ). Printing
      the FAQs up can make it easier to consult and compare various
      questions and answers.
Sorry - can't see anything that seems to match there...

	7. Now try processing some files to see if things have settled down.
  	 Work on a simple file, without any graphics inclusions -- or just
   	comment out references to graphics. Get the fonts and text to come
   	out right first.

This is where it gets interesting (and totally frustrating).  I put
together a little text file (no graphics etc; attached here), that
should run with our style file.

It seems to compile perfectly in both article.cls and jcm.cls (no more
font error messages).

It prints perfectly in article.cls (once I have taken out the non-"article"
commands) except that the abstract comes before the title (because that is
the way our style file is set up).

It prints perfectly with our style file, if I take out the cfg file
that forces the use of mt, and use just computer modern.

It prints perfectly on my old machine (same printer!) if I take the
.tex file across on a floppy and compile it there.

It prints perfectly on my new machine if I don't use DVIPSONE.  The
second page (including some small caps) prints perfectly using
DVIPSONE.

But if I try to print either both or just the first page using DIPSONE, I
get the error messages you refer to below -- so they ARE something to do
with this; the fact that in the long paper the dodgy graphics file happened
to be on page 2 was just a red herring, I'm afraid!

If I take the dvi file over from the new machine to my old machine and
try to print it from there, it crashes completely!

	8. Below you'll find some additional comments on the error messages
   	you'd reported, which are not actually font-related but
   	image-related.

                ERROR: undefined
                OFFENDING COMMAND: Fit

   	This appears to be an unrelated bug that has to do with some
   	PostScript you are inserting. Perhaps an EPS file.

                STACK:

                -mark-
                /View
                1
                /Page
                -mark-

   This appears to be in the middle of some EPS file, probably one
   that was made specifically for some other DVI-to-PS driver. Contact
   the author of the paper and tell him to provide standard EPS.

The printing bombs out immediately after the very first line (i.e.,
even before the ariticle title, with just the journal title and the
page numbers and issn), and then I get a second page that looks like
the list above.

I looked at the .aux files on the two machines, and the only
difference that I can see is the "section*.1" on the 14th line for the
one that DOESN'T work:

	\relax
	\bibstyle{jcm}
	\ifx\hyper at anchor\@undefined
	\global \let \oldcontentsline\contentsline
	\gdef \contentsline#1#2#3#4{\oldcontentsline{#1}{#2}{#3}}
	\global \let \oldnewlabel\newlabel
	\gdef \newlabel#1#2{\newlabelxx{#1}#2}
	\gdef \newlabelxx#1#2#3#4#5#6{\oldnewlabel{#1}{{#2}{#3}}}
	\AtEndDocument{\let \contentsline\oldcontentsline
	\let \newlabel\oldnewlabel}
	\else
	\global \let \hyper at last\relax
	\fi

	\newlabel{FirstPage}{{}{1}{\relax }{section*.1}{}}
	\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{\numberline {1}First section}{1}	{section.1}}
	\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{\numberline {2}Second section}{1}	{section.2}}
	\newlabel{sec2}{{2}{1}{Second section\relax }{section.2}{}}
	\bibcite{1}{1}
	\newlabel{LastPage}{{}{2}{}{}{}}

I've attached my little source file here, as well as the .cfg file and
.cls file -- the two latter files I have been using without problems
for the past 5 1/2 years; as I said, the originals were written by
David Carlisle specifically for use with YANDY!

But I've now had my "new" machine for over a year, so it's a bit
frustrating that after all this time I still can't get the 2.2 YandY
working properly, when 2.0 has done so well! So I'm sorry this is a
saga, but believe me, it's not for want of trying this end!  I'm going
to have to move house in the next couple of months, and my fear is
that my old machine won't survive the trauma... Besides which, I can't
keep my email on one and files on the other -- makes a nightmare of
the logistics. So any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks and all the best

Sue

----- End forwarded message -----