[jcm@lms.ac.uk: RE: Your Y&Y problems]

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 31 11:48:29 CEST 2003

I can comment on only one small part of her message ...

Ch.

======

Mimi Burbank writes:

> 	3. Confirm that the v.2.2 CD has all the font folders
>         needed. If any are absent, then check that they're
> 	available on the older v.2.1  CD.
>
> Not the case -- I need Times small caps (which we bought from Adobe), plus
> various other fonts, if authors use unusual ones. Also, it's 2.0, not 2.1.

Wherever the Times Small Caps font files (.pfb, .pfm) reside, these
files need to be installed in the same way as the ones that she got
off the CDs. It's not the source media that's important -- it's the
actual files, regardless of location on her machine.

What she _may_ have to do is generate new .tfms via the DVIWindo menu
options under `Fonts'. The manuals will give details on how to do
this. Recall that a purchased font has pfb and pfm files (I think) but
only TeX has tfms, so they have to be generated. I had to do this for
some purchased Helveticas and it worked without a hitch.

> 	6. Now go ahead and install 2.2 again. For production purposes,
>    	we would recommend installing every LaTeX option box there is --
>    	including 2.09 ... you never know when an old file may come along
>    	and you need to see what it's doing before upgrading its code.
>
> I've put in a full installation with everything that was going, using the
> defaults. But I had to put the tirsc in afterwards when I realised they'd
> been bought separately.  The person at Adobe tech support said just to copy
> across using a floppy, which I did, and the TFM files were made
> automaticaly, and all seems happy!  Does this actually mean that I CAN "drag
> and drop" extra fonts as per the instructions, despite what you said? I ran

Only if you're on a Win2000 machine. Otherwise, it's ATM for you ;-)

> setupttf and put the IgnoreBadInstall=1 in for good measure. I now don't
> seems to get the "expecting number not "dup" error messages, so that is a
> step in the right direction -- thanks!

Generate the Times smallcaps tfms and see where that leads.