the Win2000 font problem

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 24 12:02:15 CET 2003

Andreas, as you know, I'm part of a small technical support group for
Y&YTeX products. The real `guru', as it were, is called upon when
we're really really stuck.

And I was. So last Friday I sent him a query, and below you will find
his answer.

In the main, the problem most likely all goes back to installation
mis-steps. We are now aware that documentation regarding Win2000
machines and v.2.2 is not as explicit as it might be regarding the
need to keep ATM out of the entire installation process. It can be
around, but just not during installation.

You have been incredibly patient as I have -- in some cases -- sent
you off on wild-ish goose chases, some of them due to the fact that
there were substantial differences in underlying structure for v.2.2,
but not significant at the user level. I got caught up in the
differences between our .ini files, for example, and that added to
your workload -- my saying you should have files in c:\psfonts as
opposed to c:winnt, for example.

So, I must first apologise for having been less than helpful, and for
having passed on less-than-pertinent suggestions.

Now, on to what we hope will indeed be helpful and correct recommended
steps to take to get your Y&YTeX into proper working trim.

Christina

========

(1) Do *NOT* install ATM 4.0 for Windows NT in Windows 2000 or Windows
    XP. It will mess up font handling --- and may be very hard to
    recover from.

(2) When experiencing font problems in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    it may well be worth installing ATM 4.1 --- ATM 4.1 Lite is
    available for free download from Adobe

         http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/main.html

    This shouldn't be necessary, but may be a convenience for users
    accustomed to installing fonts using ATM (In some cases it may
    also disentangle messed up states of the font system).

(3) It should be possible to install the fonts properly without ATM
    using either the item on the pop-up menu from the CD --- or using
    "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Fonts" and then "File >
    Install Fonts" (It is best to just let it copy the files to the
    "fonts" folder under the "windows" folder).

(4) You *cannot* "install" fonts by copying them to some random folder
    (such as c:\psfonts). Key to proper font installation is the
    creation of appropriate entries in the registry. This happens when
    you (i) use the installation procedure on the CD, or (ii) when you
    use the above mentioned "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Fonts"
    etc. method or (iii) if you use ATM 4.1

(5) Be careful with the font folder. It is a so-called active folder.
    For example, when you look at it from say "My Computer" you do
    *not* see what files are in it --- instead you see information
    constructed from the registry.  Again: do not try and manipulate
    this folder -- or font files --- directly.  Always use proper
    installation procedures (of which three alternatives are outlined
    above).

=====