FW: BibTeX

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 17 10:20:58 CET 2003

Y&Y. Inc. writes:

> Mimi, Barbara, Robin and Christina,
>
> Here is a message from Berthold re: BibTeX.  He also sent the executable
> which I was unable to open.  I called my ISP provider who told me
> executables cannot be opened. Berthold is going to resend a zip file.

Blenda, it would be better if you used ftp to move such file around. I
have the exact same problem with .ini files -- they're also purged by
the local mailer as being too prone to being used as virus vehicles.

But I think in another message you'd mentioned the IPS had suggested
Berthold change the .exe to .txt to allow the file to pass.

Now consider this as well: Berthold can always ftp files here and you
can then pick 'em up later. I don't think anyone would be too upset
about such drop-offs.  But ftp means that nothing junky gets added to
-- or removed from files ... something that mailers are so keen to do
for us. You might want to check into ftp options on your own machine
-- that is, can you go out and fetch/drop off files via ftp? It avoids
this whole problem of mailers filtering out potential nasties.

> Bl.

OK. The above contents are quite different from bibtex.txt on my
machine -- version 2.2.3 (not 2.0, as mentioned below). So an updated
version is indeed welcome.

> I also recently shipped new TeX Systems to the Group who helps me
> with Techsupport and each one of them has a problem.  Christina
> still has her older version 2.0 of Y&Y TeX and she has a problem,
> so does Barbara and Mimi, who have new Systems.
>
> The new techsupport group has now received a few complaints about
> BibTeX.

> I have not shipped Robin's TeX System yet, he has an older version
> (the first TeX System, after the boot sector virus, which was
> buggy).
>
> Thanks, B.
>
> B.
>
> ... [new bibtex.txt file was here -- Ch. ]
>

> You can also call BinTeX from the WInEdt editor. But then
                      ^
I believe the above is a typo we need to rectify:

    BinTeX --> BibTeX.

Many thanks for including that new bibtex.txt file.

Now, what to do?

I'd really like to test this new bibtex.exe file before passing it on
to the two guys who've reported problems so far. But I'd also really
like to pass on the new .txt file to them as well, to at least give
them a sense of moving forward and that a solution is imminent.

What say the rest of you?